Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Screen Capture with Jing

Jing Screen cast

Project Description: "Create a series of screen captures (a minimum of 5 images and a video) on a computing task using the Jing and Screencast.com."

Overview: Jing is practically tailor made for instruction, but that does not mean that there cannot be plenty of other uses for it. I, however, will most certainly be using this in my classroom to provide students with refresher materials to look at when they are working on their own. I have not decided if I will assign my students to create their own Jing projects, but this would certainly be useful to them in all of their classes. What I like most about Jing is the ability to add comments and instructions to the screen captures. I played football in high school and follow college and professional football as a hobby. Not only would Jing screen capture be useful academically, it would also be a great tool for coaches to use in breaking apart game films to highlight certain plays.

Not only does Jing offer still screen capture images, but you can also capture video from processes on your monitor for instructional purposes. My computer lab is set up with broadcast like the computer lab Dr. Yuen uses in IT 644. With Jing, I can broadcast a pre-recorded lesson of me working through some specific assignments and my students can follow along with me at their monitors. Not everyone understands technology at the same rate, and Jing lets me communicate to the students while the watch the action unfold on their monitors. I think this is a more effective way of delivering the information. Also, whereas a lecture only lasts as long as I am talking, I can save Jing tutorials to my class’s Blackboard hub and the students can access it however many times they need to.

I think Jing is fantastic and it will help me tremendously with Solid Works and CAD because I can show my students where the buttons are on the programs. I will use Jing as much as I can in the upcoming semesters in my class. I also cannot think of any problems I have encountered with Jing. It is fairly straightforward to use, and I do not recall any moments of it not working or any periods of frustration. That, combined with the fact that it is free and online makes it the perfect teaching tool. I was very glad to have been exposed to it in Dr. Yuen’s class.

No comments:

Post a Comment